Frequently Asked Questions

I just learned about the Cooler Communities project. How can I get my town to participate?

Please contact us at

More information is also here.

Are you still helping people get audits?

We have shifted most of our work on improving energy efficiency in Pioneer Valley and the Berkshires towards collaborating with faith communities, landlords, other non-profits and towns directly, rather than individuals.                  That said, we are still happy to help if we can. Feel free to contact us at

How can I get a free energy assessment for my home?

Anyone who owns a home in Pioneer Valley and Berkshire County and has an account with the public utilities is eligible. If your town has a municipal utility, the situation is more complicated, but a new and exciting program from the Department of Energy Resources might be just right for you

If you are currently on fuel assistance, here are links to the relevant agencies that can help with many free offers in Franklin County, Hampshire County and Hampden County.

What is the relationship between ener-G-save and state-wide utility programs?

ener-G-save helps you navigate the process of accessing the state’s and utility companies’ programs. ener-G-save is not a service provider. Any contractors whom ener-G-save might suggest are certified and trained by these programs, and all benefits offered come from these programs. Furthermore, if you have exhausted the offers available through them, we can work with you to go further, all the way to using 100% renewable energy for your needs.

Is taxpayer money being spent on the ener-G-save project?

ener-G-save is financed entirely by the Harold Grinspoon Charitable Foundation Energy, LLC. Ener-G-save is not selling you anything or promoting any products. Ener-G-save only facilitates with the process of obtaining your free energy assessment, incentives, and insulation as simply and quickly as possible.

My budget is tight. I’m afraid I can’t afford to make improvements on my home. Can you help?

Yes, depending on where you live, we can point you toward free services, incentives, rebates, and interest-free loans that are available from town or state programs and/or your local utility to help finance energy efficiency measures in your home.

I live in a multi-family apartment. Can I participate in the program?

If you live in a rental with 1-4 units, you are eligible for a free energy assessment with the cooperation of your landlord in the generous incentives being offered to her or him (up to 90% of insulation cost). They might be surprised and willing to work with you on making your unit more comfortable and save you money, while making the home more valuable. Share this website with your landlord.

I’m a commercial building owner in Pioneer Valley. Is my building eligible for the program?

For information on making your commercial property more energy efficient click here. Contact ener-G-save if you are a landlord who would like to attend a workshop on how you are eligible to have your property audited at no cost. Write to

How do I know this isn’t just a big marketing gimmick for contractors that do energy audits and retrofitting?

Harold Grinspoon launched this pilot project because he was inspired to inform and educate homeowners to make changes that benefit them. Our goal is to help you save energy and money on your utility bills—and to cut down on greenhouse gas emissions. Home energy use is responsible for 17% of greenhouse gas emissions in the United States, so reducing residential energy use will not only benefit your local contractor doing the work and your wallet—but the planet. It is truly a win-win-win, for homeowners, job creation, cities and towns, and the earth.

I’d like to be in touch with you. How can I best reach you?

We are looking forward to speaking with you!

Send us an email to